In the warmer weather, I always crave fresh, green, light food that’s nutritious and full of summer flavour. I love small dishes and make this Spring Salad a lot for my vegetarian friends as part of a tapas table. It’s a great lunch or solo supper with wholemeal pittas and hummus cut with creme fraiche and paprika.
If you’re a carnivore, it’s a fantastic accompaniment to grilled chicken and won’t be out of place at a BBQ either.
- 1 can white beans (I use Canelleni)
- 1 cup/ 300g broad beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup/300g peas (fresh or frozen)
- large handful mint
- large handful corriander
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- glug extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 squeezed lemon
- crumbled feta
- Wholemeal pitta breads and creme fraiche mixed with hummus & paprika to serve
Drain and rinse the white beans and add to a large bowl. If using frozen broad beans and peas, simmer on the hob for approx. 3 mins, drain and immediately tip into a bowl of ice water to blanche and keep the vibrant green colour. Drain again and add to the bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl, except the mint. This will turn black in a few hours, so keep it until you want to serve. Season to taste & preferably eat al fresco!